Monday, October 15, 2007

Prioritizing...it's as easy as A-B-C!


I have noticed certain attributes among highly effective (and also highly productive)leaders whom I admire. Here's just one example:

1. Leaders can easily distinguish "issues" from "non-issues"
2. "Non-issues" (or petty matters) are generally ignored
3. Substantive "issues" are prioritized according to their level of importance. These "issues" are aggressively and systematically attacked beginning with the issue of greatest relative importance.

So, how can we be more effective managers of our time?
It's as easy as A-B-C!

Create manageable lists of 10-20 tasks you have to accomplish at work (separate lists can be made for home/personal).

Next, letter those tasks according to level of importance (A= URGENT), (B=Important to complete within a specific time frame), and (C=Priority to complete but without a timeframe).

Let me know how it goes. I hope this is helpful information. To schedule a free 1-hour appointment, contact me today!
dmw@donnamariawalker.com

Know better. Do better.

2 comments:

"Loveable" said...

I can't imagine how many times I have heard this 'lesson'. I have gone to seminars, read books, talked to consultants, etc., etc,. etc. But everything on my list are "A's". What now? I my mind so out of control, or is it my life?

Donna-Maria Walker, MS said...

Thanks for your comments, Loveable. You're not the first person (and I'm certain you won't be the last) to feel this way.

To answer your question is your life out of control or is it your mind...well, these are not mutually exclusive. Our thoughts create our experiences.

If by chance everything on your list merits an "A" rating, which I would challenge, but IF everything were an A, then prioritizing isn't your issue. I would encourage you to look at 2 other possibilities:

1) Practice delegating tasks to others.

2) Practice saying no. Remember..."No" is a complete sentence.